2010 Annual Progress Report
V. Fuel Cells
This section of the 2010 Progress Report for the DOE Hydrogen Program focuses on fuel cells. Each technical report is available as an individual Adobe Acrobat PDF.
Fuel Cells Sub-Program Overview, Dimitrios Papageorgopoulos, DOE
- Fuel Cell Systems with Low Platinum Loadings, Rajesh Ahluwalia, Argonne National Laboratory
- Mass-Production Cost Estimation for Automotive Fuel Cell Systems, Brian James, Directed Technologies, Inc.
- Cost Analyses of Fuel Cell Stacks/Systems, Jayanti Sinha, TIAX, LLC
- Characterization of Fuel Cell Materials, Karren More, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Neutron Imaging Study of the Water Transport in Operating Fuel Cells, Muhammad Arif, National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Economic Analysis of Stationary PEM Fuel Cell Systems, Kathya Mahadevan, Battelle
- Fuel Cell Testing at Argonne National Laboratory, Ira Bloom, Argonne National Laboratory
- Technical Assistance to Developers, Tommy Rockward, Los Alamos National Laboratory
B. Water Transport Studies
- Water Transport Exploratory Studies, Rod Borup, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Water Transport in PEM Fuel Cells: Advanced Modeling, Material Selection, Testing, and Design Optimization, Vernon Cole, CFD Research Corp.
- Visualization of Fuel Cell Water Transport and Performance Characterization Under Freezing Conditions, Satish Kandlikar, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Effects of Fuel and Air Impurities on PEM Fuel Cell Performance, Fernando Garzon, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Fundamental Effects of Impurities on Fuel Cell Performance and Durability, James Goodwin, Clemson University
- The Effects of Impurities on Fuel Cell Performance and Durability, Trent Molter, University of Connecticut
- Effect of System and Air Contaminants on PEMFC Performance and Durability, Huyen Dinh, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- New Polyelectrolyte Materials for High Temperature Fuel Cells, John Kerr, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Membranes and MEAs for Dry, Hot Operating Conditions, Steven Hamrock, 3M Company
- Dimensionally Stable Membranes (DSMs), Cortney Mittelsteadt, Giner Electrochemical Systems, LLC
- Lead Research and Development Activity for DOE's High Temperature, Low Relative Humidity Membrane Program, James Fenton, University of Central Florida
- Poly(p-Phenylene Sulfonic Acids): PEMs with Frozen-In Free Volume, Morton Litt, Case Western Reserve University
- NanoCapillary Network Proton Conducting Membranes for High Temperature Hydrogen/Air Fuel Cells, Peter Pintauro, Vanderbilt University
- Novel Approaches to Immobilized Heteropoly Acid (HPA) Systems for High Temperature, Low Relative Humidity Polymer-Type Membranes, Andrew Herring, Colorado School of Mines
- High Temperature Membrane with Humidification-Independent Cluster Structure, Ludwig Lipp, FuelCell Energy, Inc.
- Improved, Low-Cost, Durable Fuel Cell Membranes, Chris Roger, Arkema Inc.
- Protic Salt Polymer Membranes: High-Temperature Water-Free Proton-Conducting Membranes, Dominic Gervasio, University of Arizona
- Advanced Cathode Catalysts and Supports for PEM Fuel Cells, Mark Debe, 3M Company
- Highly Dispersed Alloy Catalyst for Durability, Vivek Murthi, UTC Power
- Development of Alternative and Durable High Performance Cathode Supports for PEM Fuel Cells, Yong Wang, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Non-Platinum Bimetallic Cathode Electrocatalysts, Deborah Myers, Argonne National Laboratory
- Advanced Cathode Catalysts, Piotr Zelenay, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Durable Catalysts for Fuel Cell Protection during Transient Conditions, Radoslav Atanasoski, 3M Company
- Extended, Continuous Pt Nanostructures in Thick, Dispersed Electrodes, Bryan Pivovar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Nanosegregated Cathode Alloy Catalysts with Ultra-Low Platinum Loading, Nenad Markovic, Argonne National Laboratory
- Contiguous Platinum Monolayer Oxygen Reduction Electrocatalysts on High-Stability Low-Cost Supports, Radoslav Adzic, Brookhaven National Laboratory
- The Science and Engineering of Durable Ultralow PGM Catalysts, Fernando Garzon, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Molecular-Scale, Three-Dimensional Non-Platinum Group Metal Electrodes for Catalysis of Fuel Cell Reactions, John Kerr, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
F. Water Management
- CIRRUS: Cell Ice Regulation & Removal Upon Start-Up, Amedeo Conti, Nuvera Fuel Cells, Inc.
G. Distributed Energy
- Development and Demonstration of a New-Generation High Efficiency 10-kW Stationary PEM Fuel Cell System, Durai Swamy, Intelligent Energy
- Development of a Low Cost 3-10 kW Tubular SOFC Power System, Norman Bessette, Acumentrics Corporation
- Intergovernmental Stationary Fuel Cell System Demonstration, John Vogel, Plug Power Inc.
- Research and Development for Off-Road Fuel Cell Applications, Michael Hicks, IdaTech, LLC
H. Degradation Studies
- Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Lifetime Limitations: The Role of Electrocatalyst Degradation, Deborah Myers, Argonne National Laboratory
- Durability Improvements through Degradation Mechanism Studies, Rod Borup, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Durability of Low Platinum Fuel Cells Operating at High Power Density, Scott Blanchet, Nuvera Fuel Cells, Inc.
- Improved Accelerated Stress Tests Based on Fuel Cell Vehicle Data, Tom Madden, UTC Power
- Accelerated Testing Validation, Rangachary Mukundan, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Development of Micro-Structural Mitigation Strategies for PEM Fuel Cells: Morphological Simulations and Experimental Approaches, Silvia Wessel, Ballard Power Systems
I. Auxiliary Power
- Diesel-Fueled SOFC System for Class 7/Class 8 On-Highway Truck Auxiliary Power, Dan Norrick, Cummins Power Generation
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Development for Auxiliary Power in Heavy Duty Vehicle Applications, Steven Shaffer, Delphi Corporation
J. Portable Power
- Novel Approach to Advanced Direct Methanol Fuel Cell (DMFC) Anode Catalysts, Huyen Dinh, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Novel Materials for High Efficiency Direct Methanol Fuel Cells, Chris Roger, Arkema Inc.
- New MEA Materials for Improved DMFC Performance, Durability, and Cost, James Fletcher, University of North Florida
K. Balance of Plant
- Development of Thermal and Water Management System for PEM Fuel Cell, Zia Mirza, Honeywell Aerospace
- Materials and Modules for Low-Cost, High-Performance Fuel Cell Humidifiers, William Johnson, W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.
- Nitrided Metallic Bipolar Plates, Michael Brady, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Low-Cost PEM Fuel Cell Metal Bipolar Plates, Conghua Wang, TreadStone Technologies, Inc.
- Metallic Bipolar Plates with Composite Coatings, Jennifer Mawdsley, Argonne National Laboratory
- Low-Cost Durable Seals for PEMFCs, Jacob Freidman, UTC Power
M. Transport Studies
- Air-Cooled Stack Freeze Tolerance, Dave Hancock, Plug Power Inc.
- Fuel Cell Fundamentals at Low and Subzero Temperatures, Adam Weber, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Development and Validation of a Two-Phase, Three-dimensional Model for PEM Fuel Cells, Ken Chen, Sandia National Laboratories
- Transport Studies Enabling Efficiency Optimization of Cost-Competitive Fuel Cell Stacks, James Cross, Nuvera Fuel Cells, Inc.
- Transport Studies and Modeling in PEM Fuel Cells, Cortney Mittelsteadt, Giner Electrochemical Systems, LLC
N. Innovative Concepts
- Advanced Materials for RSOFC Dual Operation with Low Degradation, Randy Petri, Versa Power Systems
- Resonance-Stabilized Anion Exchange Polymer Electrolytes, Yu Seung Kim, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Engineered Nano-Scale Ceramic Supports for PEM Fuel Cells, Eric Brosha, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Center for Fundamental and Applied Research in Nanostructured and Lightweight Materials, Michael Mullins, Michigan Technological University
- Renewable and Logistics Fuels for Fuel Cells at the Colorado School of Mines, Neal Sullivan, Colorado School of Mines
- Development of Kilowatt-Scale Coal-Based Fuel Cell Technology, Steven Chuang, University of Akron
- Alternate Fuel Cell Membranes for Energy Independence, Kenneth Mauritz, University of Southern Mississippi
- Extended Durability Testing of an External Fuel Processor for SOFC, Mark Perna, Rolls Royce Fuel Cell Systems Inc.
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Development in Columbia (SC), Ken Reifsnider, University of South Carolina
- Martin County Hydrogen Fuel Cell Development, Elizabeth Rehbock, Microcell Corporation
- Fuel Cell Balance-of-Plant Reliability Testbed, Vern Sproat, Stark State College of Technology
- Biomass Fuel Cell Systems, Neal Sullivan, Colorado School of Mines
- Fuel Cell Coolant Optimization and Scale Up, Satish Mohapatra, Dynalene Inc.
P. Basic Energy Sciences
- Fluoropolymers, Electrolytes, Composites and Electrodes, Stephen Creager, Clemson University
- Ab-initio Screening of Alloys for Hydrogen Purification Membranes, David Sholl, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Theory, Modeling, and Simulation of Ion Transport in Ionomer Membranes, Philip Taylor, Case Western Reserve University
- The Study of Proton Transport Using Reactive Molecular Dynamics, David Keffer, University of Tennessee
- Surface-Directed Fabrication of Integrated Membrane-Electrode Interfaces,, Kane Jennings, Vanderbilt University
- Activity and Stability of Nanoscale Pt-based Catalysts, Yang Shao-Horn, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Cathode Catalysis in Hydrogen/Oxygen Fuel Cells: Mechanism, New Materials, and Characterization, Andrew Gewirth, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Fundamental Studies of Electrocatalysis for Low Temperature Fuel Cell Catalysts, Nenad Markovic, Argonne National Laboratory
- Engineering Catalytic Nanoporous Metals for Reactions Important to the Hydrogen Economy, Jonah Erlebacher, Johns Hopkins University
- Theoretical Insights Into Active and Durable Oxygen Reduction Catalysts, Matthew Neurock, University of Virginia
- An in situ Electrode-Potential-Controlled Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Investigation of Sulfur-Poisoning Effect on Pt-Based Mono- and Bi-metallic Nanoscale Electrocatalysts, YuYe Tong, Georgetown University
- Investigation of the Oxygen Reduction Reaction Activity of Heteroatom-containing Carbon Nano-structures, Umit Ozkan, Ohio State University
- In-Situ Studies of Active Sites and Mechanism for the Water-Gas Shift Reaction on Metal/Oxide Nanocatalysts, Jose Rodriguez, Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Bio-Inspired Molecular Catalysts for Hydrogen Oxidation and Hydrogen Production, Morris Bullock, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Structure/Composition/Function Relationships in Supported Nanoscale Catalysts for Hydrogen, Peter Stair, Argonne National Laboratory
- Fundamentals of Hydroxide Conducting Systems for Fuel Cells and Electrolyzers, Bryan Pivovar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Transport Phenomena and Interfacial Kinetics in Planar Microfluidic Membraneless Fuel Cells, Hector Abruna, Cornell University
- High Performance Nano-Crystalline Oxide Fuel Cell Materials, Thomas Mason, Northwestern University
- Nanostructured, Metal-Modified Oxide Catalysts for Steam Reforming of Methanol and the Water-Gas Shift Reactions, Maria Flytzani-Stephanopoulos, Tufts University
- Strategies for Probing Nanometer-Scale Electrocatalysts: From Single Particles to Catalyst-Membrane Architectures, Carol Korzeniewski, Texas Tech University
- Atomic-scale Design of a New Class of Alloy Catalysts for Reactions Involving Hydrogen: A Theoretical and Experimental Approach, Manos Mavrikakis, University of Wisconsi-Madison
- Multiscale Tailoring of Highly Active and Stable Nanocomposite Catalysts for the Production of Clean Hydrogen Streams, Gotz Veser, University of Pittsburgh
- Metal- and Metal Oxide-Supported Platinum Monolayer Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Reduction, Radoslav Adzic, Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Development and Mechanistic Characterization of Alloy Fuel Cell Catalysts, Anders Nilsson, Stanford University
- Metal dissolution mechanisms in Pt-based alloys: Ideas for advanced PEM cathode design, Perla Balbuena, Texas A&M University
- Mechanism of Proton Transport in Proton Exchange Membranes: Insights from Computer Simulation, Gregory Voth, University of Utah
- Porous and Glued Ultrathin Membranes, Steven Regen, Lehigh University
- The Development of Nano-Composite Electrodes for Solid Oxide Electrolyzers, Raymond Gorte, University of Pennsylvania
- Charge Transfer, Transport, and Reactivity in Complex Molecular Environments: Theoretical Studies for the Hydrogen Fuel Initiative, Michel Dupuis, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Proton Conduction in Rare-Earth Phosphates, Lutgard De Jonghe, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- The Dielectric Response of Hydrated PFSA Membranes – Measurements with Single Post Dielectric Resonators, Stephen Paddison, University of Tennessee