2017 Annual Progress Report
V. Fuel Cells
This section of the 2017 Annual Progress Report for the DOE Hydrogen and Fuel Cells Program focuses on fuel cells.
Fuel Cells Sub-Program Overview, Dimitrios Papageorgopoulos, U.S. Department of Energy
A. Catalysts and Electrodes
- ElectroCat (Electrocatalysis Consortium), Piotr Zelenay, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Development of PGM-Free Catalysts for Hydrogen Oxidation Reaction in Alkaline Media, Alexey Serov, University of New Mexico
- Innovative Non-PGM Catalysts for High-Temperature PEMFCs, Sanjeev Mukerjee, Northeastern University
- Tailored High-Performance Low-PGM Alloy Cathode Catalysts, Vojislav Stamenkovic, Argonne National Laboratory
- Platinum Monolayer Electrocatalysts, Radoslav Adzic, Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Extended Surface Electrocatalyst Development, Bryan Pivovar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Highly Active, Durable, and Ultra-Low PGM NSTF Thin Film ORR Catalysts and Supports, Andrew Steinbach, 3M Company
- Highly Accessible Catalysts for Durable High-Power Performance, Anusorn Kongkanand, General Motors
- Corrosion-Resistant Non-Carbon Electrocatalyst Supports for PEFCs, Vijay Ramani, Washington University in St. Louis
- Regenerative Fuel Cell System (SBIR Phase II), Paul Matter, pH Matter LLC
- Development of Corrosion Resistant Carbon (CRC) Support for Ultra-Low Platinum Group Metal (PGM) Catalysts (SBIR Phase I), Prabhu Ganesan, Greenway Energy LLC
- Mesoporous Non-Carbon Catalyst Supports of PEMFC (SBIR I), Jacob Coppage-Gross, CertainTech Inc.
- Development of Durable Active Supports for Low Platinum Group Metal Catalysts (SBIR I), Barr Zulevi, Pajarito Powder, LLC
- Multi-Functional Catalyst Support (SBIR I), Minette Ocampo, pH Matter LLC
- Highly Robust Low Platinum Group Metal MEAs Based upon Composite Supports (SBIR I), Arrelaine Dameron, Forge Nano
- Advanced Electrocatalysts through Crystallographic Enhancement, Jacob Spendelow, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Vapor Deposition Process for Engineering of Dispersed PEMFC ORR Pt/NbOx/C Catalysts, James Waldecker, Ford Motor Company
B. Fuel Cell Performance and Durability
- FC-PAD: Fuel Cell Performance and Durability Consortium, Rod Borup, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- FC-PAD: Components and Characterization, Karren More, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- FC-PAD: Electrode Layers and Optimization, Adam Weber, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Novel Ionomers and Electrode Structures for Improved PEMFC Electrode Performance at Low PGM Loadings, Andrew Haug, 3M Company
- Durable High-Power Membrane Electrode Assemblies with Low Pt Loading, Swami Kumaraguru, General Motors
- High-Performance Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Electrode Structures, Mike Perry, United Technologies Research Center
- Fuel Cell Membrane Electrode Assemblies with Ultra-Low Pt Nanofiber Electrodes, Peter Pintauro, Vanderbilt University
- New Fuel Cell Membranes with Improved Durability and Performance, Michael Yandrasits, 3M Company
- Advanced Hybrid Membranes for Next Generation PEMFC Automotive Applications, Andrew Herring, Colorado School of Mines
- Smart Matrix Development for Direct Carbonate Fuel Cell, Chao-Yi Yuh, FuelCell Energy, Inc.
- Ionomer Dispersion Impact on Fuel Cell and Electrolyzer Performance and Durability (SBIR Phase II TTO), Hui Xu, Giner, Inc.
- Highly Stable Anion-Exchange Membranes for High-Voltage Redox-Flow Batteries, Yushan Yan, University of Delaware
- Advanced Materials for Fully Integrated MEAs in AEMFCs, Yu Seung Kim, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Advanced Ionomers and MEAs for Alkaline Membrane Fuel Cells, Bryan Pivovar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
D. MEAs, Cells, and Other Stack Components
- Novel Structured Metal Bipolar Plates for Low-Cost Manufacturing, CH Wang, TreadStone Technologies, Inc.
- Facilitated Direct Liquid Fuel Cells with High-Temperature Membrane Electrode Assemblies, Emory De Castro, Advent Technologies Inc.
- Advanced Catalysts and Membrane Electrode Assemblies (MEAs) for Reversible Alkaline Membrane Fuel Cells, Hui Xu, Giner, Inc.
E. Testing and Technical Assessment
- Neutron Imaging Study of the Water Transport in Operating Fuel Cells, David Jacobson, National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Technical Assistance to Developers, Tommy Rockward, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Fuel Cell Technology Status: Degradation, Jennifer Kurtz, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Performance and Durability of Advanced Automotive Fuel Cell Stacks and Systems with Dispersed Alloy Cathode Catalyst in Membrane Electrode Assemblies, Rajesh Ahluwalia, Argonne National Laboratory
- Fuel Cell Vehicle Cost Analysis, Brian James, Strategic Analysis, Inc.