2017 Annual Progress Report
II. Hydrogen Production
This section of the 2017 Annual Progress Report for the DOE Hydrogen and Fuel Cells Program focuses on hydrogen production.
Hydrogen Production Sub-Program Overview, Eric Miller, U.S. Department of Energy
A. Hydrogen Production Analysis
- Analysis of Advanced Hydrogen Production Pathways, Brian James, Strategic Analysis, Inc.
- Renewable Electrolysis Integrated Systems Development and Testing, Michael Peters, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- High-Performance, Long-Lifetime Catalysts for Proton Exchange Membrane Electrolysis, Hui Xu, Giner Inc.
- High-Performance Platinum Group Metal-Free Membrane Electrode Assemblies through Control of Interfacial Processes, Katherine Ayers, Proton OnSite
- High-Temperature Alkaline Water Electrolysis, Hui Xu, Giner Inc.
- Solid Oxide-Based Electrolysis and Stack Technology with Ultra-High Electrolysis Current Density (>3 A/cm2) and Efficiency, Randy Petri, FuelCell Energy, Inc.
- Economical Production of Hydrogen through Development of Novel, High-Efficiency Electrocatalysts for Alkaline Membrane Electrolysis, Katherine Ayers, Proton OnSite
- New Approaches to Improved PEM Electrolyzer Ion Exchange Membranes, Earl Wagener, Tetramer Technologies, LLC
- Multi-Scale Ordered Cell Structure for Cost-Effective Production of Hydrogen by High-Temperature Water Splitting, S. (Elango) Elangovan, Ceramatec, Inc.
C. High-Temperature Thermochemical
- High-Efficiency Solar Thermochemical Reactor for Hydrogen Production, Anthony McDaniel, Sandia National Laboratories
- Flowing Particle Bed Solarthermal Redox Process to Split Water, Alan Weimer, University of Colorado
- High-Efficiency Tandem Absorbers for Economical Solar Hydrogen Production, Todd Deutsch, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Wide Bandgap Chalcopyrite Photoelectrodes for Direct Solar Water Splitting, Nicolas Gaillard, University of Hawaii
- Tandem Particle-Slurry Batch Reactors for Solar Water Splitting, Shane Ardo, University of California, Irvine
- Biomass to Hydrogen (B2H2), Pin-Ching Maness, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Sweet Hydrogen: High-Yield Production of Hydrogen from Biomass Sugars Catalyzed by in vitro Synthetic Biosystems, Y-H Percival Zhang, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Novel Hybrid Microbial Electrochemical System for Efficient Hydrogen Generation from Biomass, Hong Liu, Oregon State University
F. Basic Energy Sciences
- Tailoring Hydrogen Evolution Reaction (HER) Catalysts for Operation at Specific pH Values, Bianca Ceballos, University of California, Irvine
- Hybrid Perovskites and Non-Adiabatic Dynamics Simulations: Catching Realistic Aspects of the Charge Recombination Process, Joanna Jankowska, University of Southern California
- Nano-Bio Systems for Light-Driven Hydrogen Production, Kara Bren, University of Rochester
- Mechanistic Investigations on Hydrogen Catalysis by [FeFe]-Hydrogenase, David Mulder, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Bioenergetics of Photosynthetic Energy Transduction: Control of Pathways through Redox Biochemistry, David Mulder, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Reversible Conversion between Carbon Dioxide/Hydrogen and Formic Acid by Molecular Catalysts, Etsuko Fujita, Brookhaven National Laboratory