2018 Annual Progress Report
Fuel Cell R&D
This section of the 2018 Annual Progress Report for the DOE Hydrogen and Fuel Cells Program focuses on fuel cell research and development (R&D).
Fuel Cell R&D Subprogram Overview, U.S. Department of Energy
Catalysts and Electrodes
- Tailored High-Performance Low-Platinum-Group-Metal Alloy Cathode Catalysts, Vojislav Stamenkovic, Argonne National Laboratory
- Platinum Monolayer Electrocatalysts, Jia Wang, Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Extended Surface Electrocatalyst Development, Bryan Pivovar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Highly Active, Durable, and Ultra-Low-Platinum-Group-Metal Nanostructured Thin Film Oxygen Reduction Reaction Catalysts and Supports, Andrew Steinbach, 3M Company
- Highly Accessible Catalysts for Durable High-Power Performance, Anusorn Kongkanand, General Motors
- Corrosion-Resistant Non-Carbon Electrocatalyst Supports for Proton Exchange Fuel Cells, Vijay Ramani, Washington University in St. Louis
- ElectroCat (Electrocatalysis Consortium), Deborah Myers, Argonne National Laboratory
- Advanced Electrocatalysts Through Crystallographic Enhancement, Jacob Spendelow, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Vapor Deposition Process for Engineering of Dispersed Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Oxygen Reduction Reaction Pt/NbOx/C Catalysts, James Waldecker, Ford Motor Company
- ElectroCat: Durable Mn-Based Platinum-Group-Metal-Free Catalysts for Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells, Hui Xu, Giner, Inc.
- ElectroCat: Advanced Platinum-Group-Metal-Free Cathode Engineering for High Power Density and Durability, Shawn Litster, Carnegie Mellon University
- ElectroCat: Highly Active and Durable Platinum-Group-Metal-Free Oxygen Reduction Reaction Electrocatalysts Through the Synergy of Active Sites, Yuyan Shao, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- ElectroCat: Platinum-Group-Metal-Free Engineered Framework Nano-Structure Catalyst, Prabhu Ganesan, Greenway Energy, LLC
- Highly Efficient and Durable Cathode Catalyst with Ultralow Platinum Loading Through Synergetic Platinum/Platinum-Group-Metal-Free Catalytic Interaction, Di-Jia Liu, Argonne National Laboratory
Electrolytes and Membranes
- FY15 SBIR II Release 2: Ionomer Dispersion Impact on Fuel Cell and Electrolyzer Performance and Durability, Hui Xu, Giner, Inc.
- Advanced Materials for Fully Integrated Membrane Electrode Assemblies in Anion Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells, Yu Seung Kim, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Advanced Ionomers and Membrane Electrode Assemblies for Alkaline Membrane Fuel Cells, Bryan Pivovar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Polymer-Based Fuel Cells that Operate from 80°C to 220°C, Yu Seung Kim, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- FY17 SBIR II Release 1: Novel Hydrocarbon Ionomers for Durable Polymer Electrolyte Membranes, William Harrison, NanoSonic, Inc.
Fuel Cell Performance and Durability
- FC-PAD: Fuel Cell Performance and Durability Consortium, Rod Borup, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Novel Ionomers and Electrode Structures for Improved Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Electrode Performance at Low Platinum-Group-Metal Loadings, Andrew Haug, 3M Company
- Durable High-Power Membrane Electrode Assemblies with Low Platinum Loading, Swami Kumaraguru, General Motors
- High-Performance Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Electrode Structures, Mike Perry, United Technologies Research Center
- Fuel Cell Membrane Electrode Assemblies with Ultra-Low-Platinum Nanofiber Electrodes, Peter Pintauro, Vanderbilt University
MEAs, Cells, and Other Stack Components
- Facilitated Direct Liquid Fuel Cells with High-Temperature Membrane Electrode Assemblies, Emory De Castro, Advent Technologies, Inc.
- Advanced Catalysts and Membrane Electrode Assemblies for Reversible Alkaline Membrane Fuel Cells, Hui Xu, Giner, Inc.
- FY16 SBIR II Release 1: Regenerative Fuel Cell System, Paul Matter, pH Matter, LLC
Testing and Technical Assessment
- Performance of Advanced Automotive Fuel Cell Stacks and Systems with State-of-the-Art d-PtCo/C Cathode Catalyst in Membrane Electrode Assemblies, Rajesh Ahluwalia, Argonne National Laboratory
- Fuel Cell Systems Analysis, Brian James, Strategic Analysis, Inc.