2020 Annual Merit Review: Progress Updates
Fuel Cell R&D
View Fuel Cell R&D presentations prepared for the 2020 Annual Merit Review.
Fuel Cell Performance and Durability
- FC-PAD: Fuel Cell Performance and Durability Consortium, Rod Borup, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and Adam Weber, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Durable High-Power Membrane Electrode Assembly with Low Platinum Loading, Swami Kumaraguru, General Motors
- High Performance PEFC Electrode Structures, Rob Darling, United Technologies Research Center
- Fuel Cell Membrane Electrode Assemblies with Ultra-Low Pt Nanofiber Electrodes, Peter Pintauro, Vanderbilt University
- Durable Fuel Cell MEA through Immobilization of Catalyst Particle and Membrane Chemical Stabilizer, Nagappan Ramaswamy, General Motors LLC
- Durable MEAs for Heavy-Duty Fuel Cell Electric Trucks, Vivek Murthi, Nikola Motor Company
- Durable High Power Density Fuel Cell Cathodes for Heavy-Duty Vehicles, Shawn Litster, Carnegie Mellon University
Catalysts and Electrodes
- Highly Accessible Catalysts for Durable High-Power Performance, Anusorn Kongkanand, General Motors
- Corrosion-Resistant Non-Carbon Electrocatalyst Supports for PEFCs, Vijay Ramani, Washington University
- Advanced Electrocatalysts through Crystallographic Enhancement, Jacob Spendelow, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Vapor Deposition Process for Engineering of Dispersed PEMFC ORR Pt/NbOx/C Catalysts, Jim Waldecker, Ford Motor Co.
- FY18 SBIR Phase II Release 1: Multi-Functional Catalyst Support, Minette Ocampo, pH Matter, LLC
- Highly Efficient and Durable Cathode Catalyst with Ultralow Pt Loading through Synergetic Pt/PGM-Free Catalytic Interaction, Di-Jia Liu, Argonne National Laboratory
- PEFC Electrode Structures with Encased Catalysts to Eliminate Ionomer Adsorption on Catalytic Sites, Deborah Myers, Argonne National Laboratory
- FY19 SBIR II: Novel Fluorinated Ionomer for PEM Fuel Cells, Hui Xu, Giner, Inc.
- ElectroCat (Electrocatalysis Consortium), Deborah Myers, Argonne National Laboratory, and Piotr Zelenay, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- ElectroCat: Durable Mn-Based PGM-Free Catalysts for Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells, Hui Xu, Giner, Inc.
- ElectroCat: Advanced PGM-Free Cathode Engineering for High Power Density and Durability, Shawn Litster, Carnegie Mellon University
- ElectroCat: Highly Active and Durable PGM-Free ORR Electrocatalysts through the Synergy of Active Sites, Yuyan Shao, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Developing Platinum Group Metal-Free Catalysts for Oxygen Reduction Reaction in Acid: Beyond the Single Metal Site, Qingying Jia, Northeastern University
- Mesoporous Carbon-Based PGM-Free Catalyst Cathodes, Jian Xie, Indiana University Purdue University
- Fuel Cell Membrane Electrode Assemblies with PGM-Free Nanofiber Cathodes, Peter Pintauro, Vanderbilt University
- Active and Durable PGM-Free Cathodic Electrocatalysts for Fuel Cell Application, Alexey Serov, Pajarito Powder
- High Performance Non-PGM Transition Metal Oxide ORR Catalysts of PEMFCs, Timothy Davenport, United Technologies Research Center
- ElectroCat: Accessible PGM-Free Catalysts and Electrodes, Jacob Spendelow, Los Alamos National Laboratory
Testing and Technical Assessments
- Fuel Cell System Modeling and Analysis, Rajesh Ahluwalia, Argonne National Laboratory
- Fuel Cell Systems Analysis, Brian James, Strategic Analysis, Inc.
- Fuel Cell System Optimization for Rail and Maritime Applications, Rajesh Ahluwalia, Argonne National Laboratory
- Reversible Fuel Cell Cost Analysis, Max Wei, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Spirocyclic Anion Exchange Membranes for Improved Performance and Durability, Bryan Pivovar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- High Performing and Durable Pyrophosphate Based Composite Membranes for Intermediate Temperature Fuel Cells, Cortney Kreller, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Membrane Working Group, Bryan Pivovar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, and Yu Seung Kim, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Cyclic Olefin Copolymer-Based Alkaline Exchange Polymers and Reinforced Membranes, Chulsung Bae, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Advanced AEMs with Tunable Water Transport for PGM-Free AEMFCs, Michael Hickner, Pennsylvania State University
- PILBCP-IL Composite Ionomers for High Current Density Performance, Joshua Snyder, Drexel University
- Composite PEMs from Electrospun Crosslinkable Poly(Phenylene Sulfonic Acid)s, Ryszard Wycisk, Vanderbilt University
- Molten Hydroxide Dual-Phase Membranes for Intermediate Temperature Anion Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells, Patrick Campbell, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Electrode Ionomers for High Temperature Fuel Cells, Michael Hibbs, Sandia National Laboratories
MEAs, Cells, and Other Stack Components
- Novel Structured Metal Bipolar Plates for Low Cost Manufacturing, C.H. Wang, TreadStone Technologies, Inc.
- FY18 SBIR IIB: Ionomer Dispersion Impact on PEM Fuel Cell and Electrolyzer Durability, Hui Xu, Giner, Inc.
- Microstructured Electrodes and Diffusion Layers for Enhanced Transport in Reversible Fuel Cells, Jacob Spendelow, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Bipolar Membrane Development to Enable Regenerative Fuel Cells, Todd Deutsch, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Novel Bifunctional Electrocatalysts, Supports, and Membranes for High Performing and Durable Unitized Regenerative Fuel Cells, Nem Danilovic, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Efficient Reversible Operation and Stability of Novel Solid Oxide Cells, Scott Barnett, Northwestern University
- High-Efficiency Reversible Alkaline Membrane Fuel Cells, Hui Xu, Giner, Inc.
- Durable, High-Performance Unitized Reversible Fuel Cells Based on Proton Conductors, Meilin Liu, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Stationary Direct Methanol Fuel Cells Using Pure Methanol, Dr. Xianglin Li, University of Kansas Center for Research, Inc.
- Low Cost Gas Diffusion Layer Materials and Treatments for Durable High Performance PEM Fuel Cells, Rod Borup, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Solid Phase Processing for Reduced Cost and Improved Efficiency of Bipolar Plates, Ken Ross, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Reversible Fuel Cell Stacks with Integrated Water Management, Corky Mittelsteadt, Giner, Inc.
- FY19 SBIR II: Controlled Porosity and Surface Coatings for Advanced Gas Diffusion Layers, Christopher Lang, Physical Sciences, Inc.
- High Efficiency Reversible Solid Oxide System, Hossein Ghezel-Ayagh, FuelCell Energy, Inc.
- A Novel Stack Approach to Enable High Round Trip Efficiencies in Unitized PEM Regenerative Fuel Cells, Katherine Ayers, Proton Energy Systems