2020 Annual Merit Review: Progress Updates
Infrastructure and Systems R&D
View Infrastructure and Systems R&D presentations prepared for the 2020 Annual Merit Review.
Hydrogen Infrastructure R&D
- H-Mat Overview: Metals, Chris San Marchi, Sandia National Laboratories
- Fueling Station Component Validation, Genevieve Saur, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Coatings for Compressor Seals, Chris Thompson, GVD Corporation
- Dispenser Reliability, Michael Peters, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Cryogenically Flexible, Low Permeability Hydrogen Delivery Hose, Jennifer Lalli, NanoSonic
- Self-Healable Copolymer Composites for Extended Service Hydrogen Dispensing Hoses, Marek Urban, Clemson University
- Dispenser Reliability: Materials R&D, Nalini Menon, Sandia National Laboratories
- Ultra-Cryopump for High Demand Transportation Fueling, Kyle Gross, Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
- Magnetocaloric Hydrogen Liquefaction, John Barclay, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Low-Cost Magnetocaloric Materials Discovery, Robin Ihnfeldt, General Engineering & Research
- Heisenberg Vortex Tube Cooling and Liquefaction, Jacob Leachman, Washington State University
- Free-Piston Expander for Hydrogen Cooling, Devin Halliday, Gas Technology Institute
- NDE Techniques for Pressure Vessels, Matthew Webster, Luna Innovations
- Microstructural Engineering and Accelerated Test Method Development to Achieve Low Cost, High Performance Solutions for Hydrogen Storage and Delivery, Kip Findley, Colorado School of Mines
- Tailoring Carbide Dispersed Steels: A Path to Increased Strength and Hydrogen Tolerance, Gregory Thompson, The University of Alabama
- Maritime (Pierside Power) Fuel Cell Generator Project, Lennie Klebanoff, Sandia National Laboratories
- Fuel Cell Bus Evaluations, Leslie Eudy, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Fuel Cell Hybrid Electric Delivery Van, Jason Hanlin, Center for Transportation and the Environment
- Innovative Advanced Hydrogen Mobile Fueler, Sara Odom, Electricore
- Analysis of Fuel Cells for Trucks: Real World Benefits, Ram Vijayagopal, Argonne National Laboratory
- Autonomous Hydrogen Fueling Station, Dustan Skidmore, Plug Power, Inc.
- Rail and Maritime Metrics, Rajesh Ahluwalia, Argonne National Laboratory
- MEA Manufacturing R&D, Michael Ulsh, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- In-line Quality Control of PEM Materials, Andrew Wagner, Mainstream Engineering
- Roll-to-Roll Advanced Materials Manufacturing Lab Collaboration, Claus Daniel, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Material-Process-Performance Relationships in PEM Catalyst Inks and Coated Layers, Michael Ulsh, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Laser 3D Printing of Highly Compacted Protonic Ceramic Electrolyzer Stack, Jianhua "Joshua" Tong, Clemson University
- Low-Cost, High Performance Catalyst Coated Membranes for PEM Water Electrolyzers, Andrew Steinbach, 3M
- Catalyst Layer Design, Manufacturing, and In-Line Quality Control, Radenka Maric, University of Connecticut
- High Temperature Electrolysis Test Stand, James O'Brien, Idaho National Laboratory
- Modular SOEC System for Efficient Hydrogen Production at High Current Density, Hossein Ghezel-Ayagh, FuelCell Energy, Inc.
- Demonstration of Electrolyzer Operation at a Nuclear Plant to Allow for Dynamic Participation in an Organized Electricity Market and In-House Hydrogen Supply, Uuganbayar Otgonbaatar, Exelon
- Demonstration of Integrated Hydrogen Production and Consumption for Improved Utility Operations, Monjid Hamdan, Giner ELX, Inc.
- Anode-Boosted Electrolysis, Monjid Hamdan, Giner ELX, Inc.
- Electrolyzer Integrated Modular Nano-Array Monolithic Catalytic Reactors, Trent Molter, Skyre, Inc.
- Developing Novel Electrodes with Ultralow Catalyst Loading for High Efficiency Hydrogen Production in Proton Exchange Membrane Electrolyzer Cells, Feng-Yuan Zhang, University of Tennessee Space Institute
- Power Convertor for Electrolyzer Applications, Robert Hovsapian, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Advanced Electrode Manufacturing to Enable Low Cost PEM Electrolysis, Chris Capuano, Nel Hydrogen
- Demonstration and Framework for H2@Scale in Texas and Beyond, Nico Bouwkamp, Frontier Energy Inc.
- Market Segmentation Analysis of Medium and Heavy Duty Trucks with a Fuel Cell Emphasis, Chad Hunter, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Impact of Hydrogen Onboard Storage Selection on the Cost of Fueling Fuel Cell Heavy Duty Vehicles, Amgad Elgowainy, Argonne National Laboratory
- H2@Scale Analysis, Mark Ruth, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Hydrogen Demand Analysis for H2@Scale, Amgad Elgowainy, Argonne National Laboratory
- Energy Storage Analysis, Chad Hunter, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Synthetic Fuels Technoeconomic Analysis and Life Cycle Analysis, Amgad Elgowainy, Argonne National Laboratory
- Regional Hybrid Energy Systems Technoeconomic Analysis, Richard Boardman, Idaho National Laboratory
- H2@Scale Overview, Bryan Pivovar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Membrane Electrode Assembly Manufacturing Automation Technology for the Electrochemical Compression of Hydrogen, Michael Ulsh, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Risk Analysis and Ventilation Modeling to Improve Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Repair Garages, Brian Ehrhart, Sandia National Laboratories
- Development, Validation, and Benchmarking of Quantitative Risk Assessment Tools for Hydrogen Refueling Stations, Ethan Hecht, Sandia National Laboratories
- Hybrid Electrical/Thermal Hydrogen Production Process Integrated with a Molten Salt Reactor Nuclear Power Plant, Elise Fox, Savannah River National Laboratory
- California Hydrogen Infrastructure Research Consortium, Sam Sprik, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Hydrogen Contaminant Detector, Bill Buttner, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Methane Pyrolysis for Base-Grown Carbon Nanotubes and CO2-Free Hydrogen over Transition Metal Catalysts, Robert Dagle, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Electrolyzer-Bioreactor Integration, Kevin Harrison, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Toluene-Methylcyclohexane as Two-Way Carrier for Hydrogen Transmission and Storage, Rajesh Ahluwalia, Argonne National Laboratory
- Electrolytic Renewable Fuel Production Optimal Operation Investigation, Josh Eichman, National Renewable Energy Laboratory